Tuesday, August 25, 2015

How Long Before I Feel Better? Views on Recovery from Various Schwannomas

Hello all!  This post is the last in our series in which we attempted to determine what recovery time was like for people who have had various kinds of Schwannomas.  We did break them down into categories - various ones in the different regions of the spine, Acoustic Neuromas, etc.  But since Schwannomas do not fall into neat categories, and for the fact that they can be found along almost any nerve pathway in the body - I felt it was necessary to do a final blog post dealing with all other Schwannomas not mentioned in previous posts.  So this last one will have feedback from people with different kinds of Schwannomas, and I will label the person's comments accordingly so you can know what kind of Schwannoma they were recovering from.  This blog will tie up the end of this series - we hope you find them helpful and useful, and I thank everyone who took their time to share their stories! - Neil
___________________________________________________________

Answer 1 - Trigeminal Schwannoma

I have a trigeminal schwannoma. I had gamma knife surgery this past march. I am not seeing much benefit at the moment but was reassured that I would see a change by xmas. I feel that the procedure is relatively new and they're not sure of the long term outcomes so have nothing more positive to offer me. Sigh. I will definitely post any significant changes in my condition though. Meanwhile I have constant headaches and facial paraesthesia that are persistent.

Answer 2 - Trigeminal Schwannoma

Trigeminal schwannoma 6cm and brain stem compression 60 percent. 1 yr complete resection. Still with facial pain. Headaches. Tumor site pain, blurry vision, balance issues. However I am lucky to be alive.

Answer 3 -  Sacral Schwannoma

I had a sacral schwannoma removed 12 weeks ago was pretty large 9cm x 9cm still having many issues, right side from tumor sight down butt and leg giving me all kinds of issues,also defacating has been a challenge. Doctor says it is because of pelvic floor muscles, starting to lose faith in that as therapy is doing nothing, and from the type of pain i have i feel its nerve related.

Answer 4 - Presacral Schwannoma

I had a presacral schwannoma 6cm removed almost a year ago.  I still have the pain down my right leg I had before removal was so helpful I would be pain free...

Answer 5 -  Presacral Schwannoma

I had a 15cm presacral schwannoma filling my whole pelvis and affecting the nerves in my right leg and badly affecting my bladder and bowel. It was removed nearly 2 weeks ago and my leg seems to be ok and my bowel and bladder are better.Recovery has been good but have times where I still need a small dose of endone particularly first thing in morning and evening before bed..

Answer 6 -  Esophageal Schwannoma

I had 6cm esophageal schwannoma, was removed along with 1/3 of my esophagus through thoracotomy 3 months +10days ago. Was in hospital for over 2 weeks. Recovery has been smooth, had a feeding tube for a month,no pain with a little discomfort. Now I almost can have normal diet (no spicy food yet). Can't lie down within 2 hrs after meals. Sleep on a big bed wedge pillow... But I can swallow my food like normal people do which I'm really happy about it 

Answer 7 - Olfactory Nerve Schwannoma

I had a 3cm schwannoma removed from my olfactory nerve in Jan. It had grown through the skull and was pressing on both my brain and my eye. I was in the hospital for about 6 days, due to a CSF leak. Went back to work part time 5 weeks later, but it took a good three months before I felt that I had my normal level of energy back. Since they removed the right olfactory nerve, my sense of smell is quite diminished and I find that lots of foods taste very different from what I remember. At my three month check up, my eye was back to its normal shape (and I no longer had the tingling/crunching feelings in the eye socket) and the patch where they repaired the leak looked good. I still have the daily headaches that led to the discovery of the tumor in the first place, but they aren't as bad as they were either before the surgery or for the month or two after surgery. I would be interested in connecting with other people who have had olfactory nerve schwannomas....

Answer 8 - Sciatic Nerve Schwannoma

I don't even know what mine was called apart from it was on the sciatic nerve near my tail bone but I was back at work after 4 weeks. They told me to take 9 months and I wish I had.