Tuesday, August 4, 2015

How Long Before I Feel Better After a Schwannoma in an Arm or Leg?

Hello all!  This is the next in the series of blogs we are doing which seek to answer what recovery times can be like for people who have had schwannomas in particular parts of the body.  In this posting we seek to answer what recovery time was like for anyone who had a schwannoma anywhere in the arms or legs.  We thank, as always, friends of the Schwannoma Survivors & Schwannoma Fighters Facebook page who contributed their answers to this question - and we hope you find them useful! - Neil
________________________________________________________________________

Answer 1

I have schwannomas in my legs and feet. I had one taken out from my thigh and it only took a week to recover. The others cannot are causing a lot more pain than the first one. I am seeing my neurologist on Monday to see if they can be removed or not. The one on the bottom of my foot is excruciating, the one in my calf only causes pain if I hit my leg against something or touch the area.

Answer 2

Right Arm dec. 2013 and returned to work in feb. 2014. Pain until mid january. Still numb in 2 fingers and hand. Consistent cramping hand even now cannot hold items long time without cramping even typing writing at times cramps up and at times cramps up no reason. Where removed still tingling but no pain.

Answer 3

Right thigh November 2008. Prior to surgery I was unable to walk or bear weight. I was better IMMEDIATELY after surgery. I would say I had aches and "surgical" pain for 1-1 1/2 weeks after surgery but compared to the presurgical it was nothing!! Currently I have one in my right upper arm and left lower leg confirmed with MRI--surgeon is out of country for a month so waiting to schedule next surgery.

Answer 4

I had one removed from the bottom of my left foot in February of this year, 2015. It spanned 2/3 of my foot and was 9 cm by 4 cm long and a smaller growth in my second toe that was 2 cm by 4 cm. I was off my foot for seven weeks total. I had stitches in the bottom of my foot and couldn't apply any pressure for the first six weeks. I had to go weekly for them to change the bandages and check my foot. The seventh week I could slowly start to put weight on my foot. Even after I could walk again and resume regular activities it still hurt for several weeks. I had numbness in my big toe for almost three months after the surgery. Every once in a while I still have some pain that shoots through my second toe. It's just a sharp pain, but quickly passes over.

Answer 5

I had one egg sized removed thrugh the bottom of my left foot in July of 2014. I could not walk at all for six weeks. The pain was excrurtiating. It continued to hurt for several months. Pain from the scar and the nerve for up to six months. One year later the scar causes minimal discomfort but I do get shooting pains randomly from the nerve. It feels like a sharp pin is stickining up my foot and shoots to my knee.

Answer 6

Just coming off of removal of a cluster of schwannomas in my calf. Had one removed many years ago and a cluster grew back (5) Hurt terribly when I would bump it. (You become so protective of your lumps and bumps because the pain is awful )! Still have some residual nerve pain, but 80% better. So happy I had them removed and will go back to same neurologist to have an acorn sized one in my forearm and multiples on my hand .

_______________________________________________________________