Sunday, September 21, 2014

Schwannoma Case Study # 12, Carol Zwick and the Story of Her Lumbar Spinal Cord Schwannoma

Welcome to Schwannoma Case Study # 12, this one featuring our friend Carol Zwick and the story of her lumbar spinal cord schwannoma.  Carol has been a long-time and treasured friend of the Schwannoma Survivors Facebook page, and we thank her for taking the time to tell us more about her story!  Neil
_______________________________________________________________


1)  How old were you at the time of your diagnosis?


Both the onset of my symptoms and my diagnosis took place when I was 61.



2)  Do you have any history of Schwannomas in your family?

None and I had never known anyone who had one.  

3)  Where was your Schwannoma located?  And what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis?



My Schwannoma was located at L4 and L5. My only symptom was acute and debilitating pain. In approximately six weeks I was losing the ability to walk. In March I was hiking in Sedona and by the middle of April I was having difficulty walking. The onset and progression was very quick.


My internist diagnosed my tumor and I was sent for an MRI the same week I saw him. I know this is not the norm and I feel very fortunate to have the diagnosis and the surgery in a short period of time.  


4)   Could you describe, in whatever detail possible, what kind of surgical treatment was performed on your Schwannoma, and if you would consider it successful? (Or describe what you may know about the surgery that may yet be performed, if you haven't been operated on yet)


I had my surgery -- a laminectomy -- a month after diagnosis, and I consider it necessary and highly successful. 



 5)   Having gone through the experience, what do you think are the most critical questions for someone to ask their doctor about surgery and treatment of this kind of schwannoma?


The most important issue for me was the outcome. My doctor was very candid and let me know that the surgery might not put an end to the pain. I would also ask about the recovery process, especially the estimated length and how pain would be controlled. 




 6)   Can you describe what the recovery process was like for you – if you feel you  have made a positive recovery…and what things you have done that have been of most help to you?  (Also, you are free to describe what doctors tell you to expect from your recovery if you haven't been in surgery yet)

My recovery went well. I was in the hospital for two night and I was able to walk when I went home. In three weeks the worst of the pain was gone and I was walking three or four blocks a day. I went back to work a month after the surgery and I started physical therapy the next week. The therapy was very helpful and saw a physiatrist three months later. He had good advice about the long term prognosis, which was more his area than my surgeon's. 
The part I would have wanted more help with is going off the pain medication. I stopped too quickly -- there was no schedule -- and had a week of awful depression. 

7)  Are you able to do all or most the things you did before? (Also feel free to describe your abilities even if you are still living with the tumor or tumors)

With two exceptions I am back to where I was before my symptoms. I am able to walk without pain at least a mile at a time and my balance is good. The debilitating pain is gone. Per my physiatrist I don't do a lot of lifting above my head, e.g., a suitcase into the overhead on a plane. I am also unable to cross my right leg and I still have some nerve pain in my right leg -- hip to knee -- but it is tolerable.