Sunday, September 21, 2014

Schwannoma Case Study #11, Gina Forde and the Story of Her Thoracic Spinal Cord Schwannoma

Welcome to our Schwannoma "Case Study" # 11, which features friend of the Schwannoma Survivors page Gina Forde and the story of her thoracic spinal cord schwannoma.  Personal stories are a great value to the Schwannoma Survivors & Schwannoma Fighters Facebook page and blog - and we sincerely thank Gina for sharing her story, so as to get useful information out there and help others!  Neil
________________________________________________________________________

1)  How old were you at the time of your diagnosis?  

27 

2)  Do you have any history of Schwannomas in your family?

 No 


3)  Where was your Schwannoma located?  And what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis? 

Spinal Schwannoma located at t10-t12.
Symptoms mainly consisted of severe back pain which was aggrivated when lying down. I was unable to lie down completely flat for a period of 10 months running up to diagnosis and operation during which time I had to sleep upright on a recliner seat at a 45 degree angle. Some nerve spasms through my legs.
General back pain was located in my lower left side and more specifically my hip which was why diagnosis took its time. It was 8 months of redirection from one department to another before my nerves were bought into question and an MRI was booked for my entire spinal cord.


4)   Could you describe, in whatever detail possible, what kind of surgical treatment was performed on your Schwannoma, and if you would consider it successful? (Or describe what you may know about the surgery that may yet be performed, if you haven't been operated on yet)

After discovering the lump via MRI (schwannoma diagnosis post surgery) I was referred to Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham and within 2 weeks I was in for surgery. Laminectomy of t10-t11 and removal of intradural extramedually tumour. which was diagnosed as a schwannoma post surgery after tests.
I was in surgery for around 6 hours and in hospital for 9 days as I suffered with severe headaches.
I would consider my surgery to be successful. I have complete numbness on my left hip which I have been told I should regain feeling within 2 years. I have the odd spasm and mild back pain when lying down. I am nearly 10 months post op. I returned to full time employment 4 months post op. I am due for annual review with my surgeon in November.


5)   Having gone through the experience, what do you think are the most critical questions for someone to ask their doctor about surgery and treatment of this kind of schwannoma? 

In all honesty as I wasn't aware of what I had until afterwards I don't feel able to comment.
I got to the stage I was in so much pain I would have elected for surgery whatever the risk and I have only found out more about schwannomas through my own research.


6)   Can you describe what the recovery process was like for you – if you feel you  have made a positive recovery…and what things you have done that have been of most help to you?  (Also, you are free to describe what doctors tell you to expect from your recovery if you haven't been in surgery yet)


Heavily reliant on friends and family for the first month - moved to sisters.
Dependant on strong pain relief for first 8 weeks. Stable recovery with 3 months physiotherapy thereafter.




7)  Are you able to do all or most the things you did before? (Also feel free to describe your abilities even if you are still living with the tumor or tumors) 




Everything back to normal apart from numbness which doesn't hinder me.