Monday, May 19, 2014

Schwannoma Case Study # 6, Bart Johnson, Schwannoma Located on the Posterior Side of L4 - Schwannoma not yet Removed

Welcome to our sixth Schwannoma Case Study - this one is a gentleman by the name of Bart Johnson who has a Schwannoma at L4, not yet removed.  Bart was kind enough to sit down and answer our case study questions as one who is living with a Schwannoma and keeping it monitored.  We thank Bart for sharing his story! - Neil
______________________________________________________
1) How old were you at the time of your diagnosis? 
I was 55 and the diagnosis was in March of 2013.  I am a runner and experienced a partial tear of my upper hamstring tendon.  The MRI that diagnosed the hamstring tear also noted a spot on the posterior side of my lower spine.
2)  Do you have any history of Schwannomas in your family? 
No, I have never heard of the tumor before my diagnosis.
3)  Where was your Schwannoma located?  And what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis?  

It is located on the posterior side of L4.  The neurosurgeon explained that it was nestled up close to the iliac artery.  I did not have, and still do not have any symptoms. If I did not have the hamstring injury I would still not know about the Schwannoma today.


4)   Could you describe, in whatever detail possible, what kind of surgical treatment was performed on your Schwannoma, and if you would consider it successful? (Or describe what you may know about the surgery that may yet be performed, if you haven't been operated on yet)   
After the original diagnosis I went back for an MRI in three months and then again after another three months.  There was no growth.  I did not have any other MRI’s performed in that area in the past so there was no past benchmark to use.  The neurosurgeon explained that they know how Schwannomas grow, but they do not know at what speed.  It can be different for each person.  After the second repeat MRI the surgeon told me not come back for a year.  That was mid-February, so he told me to remember to call back to schedule the MRI at Valentine’s Day.  Great! Now I will associate Valentine’s Day with an MRI and the possibility of surgery!
The surgeon described the surgery as needing to be very precise.  The entry would be through my abdomen.  He explained he did not want to leave any of the Schwannoma behind, because when they do, they usually grow back.  He then said that may mean severing some small nerves that would lead to some numbness in my left leg.  He did tell me it would not harm my muscular control. After reading other’s posts about post-surgery symptoms the “numbness” has me a little worried.  I wonder how bad it would be.
Someone asked me if I was sorry they found the Schwannoma by chance.  I said “heck no” I was glad they found it.  The reply was “aren’t you going to worry about it now?”  I was truthful and said “Nope, I hope they burry me with it”.  I can truly block out thinking about it and just live my life.  If I become symptomatic, or the schwannoma grows, then I will think about it.  Not until then.
5)   Having gone through the experience, what do you think are the most critical questions for someone to ask their doctor about surgery and treatment of this kind of schwannoma?  
First thing you want to determine is what the physician’s experience with Schwannomas is.  How long has the Dr. been in practice?  What is their experience with your particular type and location of Schwannoma? What should you expect after surgery?  What percentage of patients have different types of post-surgical pain, or other symptoms.  Write down a list of all your questions.  Your doctor should be able to explain his answers to all of them.
6)   Can you describe what the recovery process was like for you – if you feel you have made a positive recovery…and what things you have done that have been of most help to you?  (Also, you are free to describe what doctors tell you to expect from your recovery if you haven't been in surgery yet)
After my doctor explained the surgery I asked him how long until I was back to 100% of pre-surgery.  He told me there would not be a “100%”.  That was a shock.  He explained entry would be through the abdominal wall and a very delicate surgery going around the blood vessels and nerves.
7)  Are you able to do all or most the things you did before? (Also feel free to describe your abilities even if you are still living with the tumor or tumors)

TBD, if surgery is needed.  I asked my doctor if they ever stop growing and he said yes.  Thanks what I am hoping for.