Saturday, April 19, 2014

Schwannoma Case Study #5, Tiffany Heronimus, Schwannoma in the Left Elbow

Hi Everyone - welcome to our fifth Schwannoma Case Study - this one featuring a friend of the Schwannoma Survivors page Tiffany Heronimus.  Tiffany had a schwannoma removed from the elbow area of her left arm, and she has been kind enough to write a few lines describing the experience.  Tiffany has been quite keen to share whatever she could share about this experience in the hopes of helping others - and she has even included photos that were taken of her Schwannoma urgery.  So WARNING Graphic images at the end!  But it has been a stated goal of the Schwannoma Survivors Facebook page and blog to tell the entire truth about schwannomas - so I believe that there is nothing wrong with seeing what these tumors actually look like.  For those of us who have had these things come into our lives - they are not an abstraction.  We thank Tiffany as we have all our contributors...and hope you find this case study informative! - Neil
______________________________________________________________________________

1)  How old were you at the time of your diagnosis?
36.
However, I was wrongly diagnosed after an ultrasound at the age of 32 with "just a cyst". I was told removal would be cosmetic.

2)  Do you have any history of Schwannomas in your family?

None known.

3)  Where was your Schwannoma located?  And what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis?

My schwannoma was located on the inside bend of my left elbow. Attached to the median nerve. I had no symptoms but the lump was growing to a noticeable size, so I decided to seek treatment.
  
4)   Could you describe, in whatever detail possible, what kind of surgical treatment was performed on your Schwannoma, and if you would consider it successful? (Or describe what you may know about the surgery that may yet be performed, if you haven't been operated on yet)

I consider myself very lucky to have had a schwannoma on my arm. Since I was told initially it was a cyst I sought treatment in the wrong place. A surgical dermatologist attempted removal with local anesthesia and realized it was not a cyst, it was in fact a nerve tumor. He took a punch biopsy which revealed that it was in fact a Schwannoma. He then sent me to an arm surgeon.
 I had a wonderful surgeon who was able to perform the surgery while I was awake. The anesthesiologist administered what is called a Bier block. Circulation is cut off to your arm and an IV is inserted into the hand which pools the numbing meds into the arm. The procedure took 90 minutes and as soon as the meds wore off we were able to determine if I had any nerve damage. Due to the location of my tumor I could have lost feeling and/or function in three out of five fingers. Fortunately, with the careful hand of my surgeon, I had no nerve damage  and had full function and feeling in all of my fingers right away. I am about 6 months post-surgery now and other than the incision site being a little sensitive, I have no residual effects from the tumor or surgery.

5)   Having gone through the experience, what do you think are the most critical questions for someone to ask their doctor about surgery and treatment of this kind of schwannoma?

Be sure you are aware of and prepared for all possible outcomes before entering surgery. Make sure you choose a doctor who has previous experience with schwannomas.

6)   Can you describe what the recovery process was like for you – if you feel you  have made a positive recovery…and what things you have done that have been of most help to you?  (Also, you are free to describe what doctors tell you to expect from your recovery if you haven't been in surgery yet)
 Since meeting so many people with spinal cord schwannomas, I really feel fortunate to have had mine on my arm. My recovery was so fast and I had no restrictions after the first week or two post surgery. Six months later, I don't have a single symptom or restriction.

7)  Are you able to do all or most the things you did before? (Also feel free to describe your abilities even if you are still living with the tumor or tumors)

I am able to fully use my arm and do everything I did before I had the schwannoma removed. I feel very fortunate.