Monday, December 8, 2014

Schwannoma Case Study # 13, Susan Chapman Ruggiero & The Story of a Schwannoma in her Foot

Hello everyone!  Welcome to our 13th Schwannoma Case Study.  In this Case Study our friend Susan Chapman Ruggiero tells us of the discovery and removal of a Schwannoma in her left foot.  We thank Susan for taking the time to tell her story, and wish her well in her continued recovery! - Neil
_______________________________________________________________________________ 

1)  How old were you at the time of your diagnosis?

I was fifty-five when I first approached a doctor about my schwannoma. It was removed before I turned fifty-six.

2)  Do you have any history of Schwannomas in your family?

Not that I know of.

3)  Where was your Schwannoma located?  And what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis?

My schwannoma was located inside the bottom of my left foot. It presented similar to a blister about the size of a pinky finger nail about three years ago. I asked several of my regular doctors about it but they all just shrugged.  The ‘blister’ doubled in size over the last year to about the size of a thumb nail. I use this description because that is what it looked like. A shiny slightly raised bump. I had no symptoms related to this bump.  There was never any pain or discomfort from it.  I went to a podiatrist that my husband sees for nail issues.

4)   Could you describe, in whatever detail possible, what kind of surgical treatment was performed on your Schwannoma, and if you would consider it successful? (Or describe what you may know about the surgery that may yet be performed, if you haven't been operated on yet).


My schwannoma was removed through the bottom of my foot. I underwent general anesthesia at an out-patient surgical facility. The incision required nine stiches to close. I was in and out in four hours.



5)   Having gone through the experience, what do you think are the most critical questions for someone to ask their doctor about surgery and treatment of this kind of schwannoma?

We had no idea what this was until three weeks after it had been removed. X-rays revealed a mass. An MRI proved it was not vascular. My doctor knew little more than I did when she went in. She shared with me just the typical information for any foot surgery. She removed the tumor and described it as the size of an extra-large egg, totally encapsulated and benign. I would have liked to speak with someone who had gone through any type of foot surgery that was as disabling as this. I was not prepared for what was ahead.

 6)   Can you describe what the recovery process was like for you – if you feel you have made a positive recovery…and what things you have done that have been of most help to you?  (Also, you are free to describe what doctors tell you to expect from your recovery if you haven't been in surgery yet)

My recovery has been successful, but in the beginning it was absolute hell.  The pain was incredible.  I have had much pain from seven broken bones and multiple surgeries but nothing prepared me for this. The medications I was given were not effective at all. Basically I was unable to walk for six weeks.  I employed a knee scooter for some mobility in my home. I did not leave my house except for doctors’ visits to examine my incision and to have the stiches removed. They told me there would be some pain and that there would be improvement every day and both these were true. They told me to use ice and I did not until I was walking and needed relief.  It may have helped earlier. The removal of the stiches about three weeks after surgery set me back about a week and included the return of bleeding and intense pain.
Three months after surgery, I am completely confident in my daily activities. There is still some pain from the scar, walking barefoot is out of the question.  I have random shooting pain from the nerve that the tumor grew off – I think. I expect this will diminish as the nerve heals. I keep rubbing assorted lubricants into the scar in hopes it will diminish as it feels like I am walking on a piece of string all the time.

7)  Are you able to do all or most the things you did before? (Also feel free to describe your abilities even if you are still living with the tumor or tumors)

I have not explored all my previous activities i.e.: skiing or wind surfing, but I am not afraid to face them when the opportunity presents itself. I have been swimming in the ocean and several lakes (with swim shoes). I am also back to my daily ¾ mile swim in the college pool. I always have the needed materials to protect the scar on hand. I do worry that I may split the scar open if I stress the area too much.
I could not have done this without the dedicated help of my husband.
I am grateful for all the information that is currently available on this blog. I continually return to learn more about this ailment. I wish I knew more about my tumor and had this information before embarking on this endeavor.  

If anyone has any questions or comments, I can easily be reached at buffysxc@comcast.net. 

With my nieces and nephews, the reason I need two good working tumor-less feet!