Sunday, March 30, 2014

Schwannoma Case Study # 2, Kris Sres, with Posterior Mediastinal Schwannoma, Lower Esophagus

Hello everyone!  Welcome to case study number 2 in our series "Schwannoma Case Studies."  This one features a brief Schwannoma case study from a lady by the name of Kris Sres in Australia.  She is experiencing a Schwannoma in the lower esophagus, and as this was one of the more unusual Schwannoma stories that I have heard - I asked her to answer our Q and A for a case study.  We thank Kris for her time, and wish her the best in the future with her treatment - Neil
_________________________________________________________________________


1)  How old were you at the time of your diagnosis?

43

2)  Do you have any history of Schwannomas in your family?

 Nothing that I know of.

3)  Where was your Schwannoma located?  And what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis?

 Located in posterior mediastinal, grew out from out layer of the lower esophagus, right behind the heart.  Only symptom is swallowing difficulty. 


4)   Could you describe, in whatever detail possible, what kind of surgical treatment was performed on your Schwannoma, and if you would consider it successful? (Or describe what you may know about the surgery that may yet be performed, if you haven't been operated on yet)

Based on two surgeons I visited, "keyhole surgery is less likely due to the odd location", open chest surgery is most likely. Might be possible to perform the surgery from my left side even though the tumor is on right side of the esophagus. 


5)   Having gone through the experience, what do you think are the most critical questions for someone to ask their doctor about surgery and treatment of this kind of Schwannoma?

Always ask what the options are for the treatment, what is the percentage of the complication after/during the surgery, what are the possible complications, what is the percentage of the tumor regrowth, if it's possible to treat it without surgery. 



6)   Can you describe what the recovery process was like for you – if you feel you  have made a positive recovery…and what things you have done that have been of most help to you?  (Also, you are free to describe what doctors tell you to expect from your recovery if you haven't been in surgery yet)

What I could expect from recovery: leakage when I swallow at the point where stomach is connect with my throat as there is a chance they have to cut my esophagus during the surgery then pull my stomach up to connect to throat; possible lung complication as they will need to deflate one lung as least...Those are only what I remember ... didn't really try memorize the rest -:)  



7)  Are you able to do all or most the things you did before? (Also feel free to describe your abilities even if you are still living with the tumor or tumors)


Yes, I'm able to do everything I can before I learned I had a tumor -:) only thing I do little different is I have to eat slow...